Hints and Tips
Hints and tips for plants that do not cost a lot of money, and they work!
- Wrap a thin layer of steel wool around your bulbs to stop animals from eating them before you have had chance to plants them.
- Got some insects on your plants? Why not try some washing up liquid mixed with water instead of spending money on insecticides. Take 1 to 3 tablespoons of washing up liquid, mix it into 1 gallon of water, put it in a spray bottle and spray the entire plant. Take care not to spray when the sun is on the plant as this will scorch it. Only use the spray early morning or late evening.
- When planting trees bury some old garden hose alongside the roots, when you fill in the hole leave the other end of the garden hose out of the ground. This allows you to water the roots directly.
- Use bubble wrap to line the pots of container grown plants it will keep them warm during the winter months.
- Use old knitwear newspapers or plastic bags for a low cost hanging basket liners.
- To ensure that you get a level edge when pruning hedges, fasten a length of rope to two points across the top of the hedge before you start pruning.
- To get rid of weeds on paths and driveways try using sea salt with boiling water. It makes an excellent weed killer
- To keep any unwanted cats out of your garden, spray your fence with surgical spirit. Moth Balls also work great.
- To keep any unwanted dogs out of your garden sprinkle unwanted perfume or aftershave on the ground or use liberal sprinklings of pepper….amazing !!!